Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Learning By Doing

This blanket has been a true learning experience and I have loved it all. I had to re-place this rectangle (with the diagonal center) from the bottom edge, to the row above. Then I knit another to put where it had been. That left two spaces to fill in next to it, and another at the bottom edge.

Below the white, circular stitch marker is a tiny rectangle that I filled in with background color. The space above required I create another log cabin rectangle. Below, those spaces are filled in, and lying at the front edge of the pillows, one row from the left end of the blanket.
The wise ladies at The Yarn Nook in Candler suggested the border be the same as the background, and not deep blue as I had at first thought. After deliberation, I concluded they are right. I wanted to put on an applied I-cord border, but this yarn is not conducive to that which calls for a bit of tugging to get it right. This yarn is easily broken - basically, it's roving with a thread around for texture - and has very little elasticity. So I have opted for a double seed stitch. Have not begun yet; I am working on the many, many long ends to weave in on the wrong side.

Anyway, I continue to learn and enjoy as I go. I hope it's ready for her birthday in February!

Beth

No comments: