Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Still Working on the Family Blanket

After working on Ryan's name on his blanket, I learned a lot! That for intarsia with garter stitch, work the stitch change first on the right side, work it with the same color when you come to it, on the wrong side. This isn't at all what one can do in stockinette. Anyway, I tried what my brain had figured out, above, and here is the finished rectangle, front and back.
It has become a center rectangle in what will become a larger block. When I have completed the blocks, I will give each a border of 3 rows of garter stitch, leave the stitches live (using white cotton through to hold them) and later do a three-needle bindoff to join them.
The problem then will become one of creating blocks of the right dimensions to complete the blanket, once all these have been joined. As you can see by the two above, each block is different (have I had fun!) and therefore, because I am joining them irregularly, there will be odd spaces here and there at blanket's edge. Still have not completely solved that yet; when I do, you'll know!
Beth

No comments: